Arts For Everyone: Weekly Event Update
COMING THIS SPRING: Get ready for the new season of classes being offered by ARTS FOR EVERYONE. All classes will be held at the RED BARN GALLERY located at 12810 Foust Road, Conneaut Lake, PA. A partial list of classes being offered by the A4E Artists during the upcoming season include the following:
BEGINNER’S GUITAR CLASS: First class, Sat., 5/16/2014, 5-6PM. Class runs for six consecutive weeks.
Open to students, 12-16 yrs. of age. Student must have their own instrument. Students will learn the basics of playing the guitar. Cost: $60. Instructor: G. Nowack.
BEGINNING WOODWORKING: First class, Sunday, 5/11/2014, 5-6PM. Open to students 12-16.Class meets the second Sunday of each month for four consecutive months (May-Aug.). Students will learn the basics of woodcraft as they construct and paint their own birdhouses from materials supplied by the instructor. Completed birdhouses may be taken home by the student, or may be installed upon one of our regional participating trails. Cost: $50, includes all materials. Instructor: G. Nowack.
NATURE PHOTOGRAPHY: Students will be guided through the Art of Nature Photography by one of the Region’s most respected and recognized Nature Photographers, Terry Werneth. Each class will be a “one-on-one” experience with the instructor, and will take place in of the region’s wildlife areas/trails. Meeting times and dates are arranged through the Instructor. Students must provide their own photography equipment. Cost is variable and determined with the Instructor.
FABRIC ART: Learn the Arts of Spinning, Weaving, and Drop-Spindle Spinning from Master Fabric Artist, Judy Hanninen. First two classes will be held on May 31 and June 14. Additional classes will be available during the months of July and August. Cost per class is $30. Materials are included
ZENTANGLE: Class meets the third Saturday of every month. Instructor: Cheree Frizell.
Call for details. 814-795-6888
FLY-TYING CLASS: Class will meet the third weekend of every month.
Call for details. 814-795-6888
Information on classes in CALLIGRAPHY, DRAWING, WATERCOLORS, JEWELRY, CERAMICS and DECORATIVE WREATHS is coming soon! For a complete list and schedule of classes, please contact email@example.com. Classes will fill-up quickly!
MEADVILLE’S HISTORIC MARKET HOUSE: View the newest Creations by A4E Artists now on exhibit at the Gallery located on the first floor of the historic Meadville Market House. Selections include works by more than 20 A4E Participating Artists including the magnificent hand-spun weavings of Judy Hanninen, the crystal glass sculptures by Becky Schellhaas, and the most recent creations by Jan Werneth, Terry Werneth, and Carolyn Nowack. Also included are works by the newest A4E Artist, Tricia Patten, paintings by Don O’Day, the fabric art of Cheree Frizzell, and the hand-carved Carousel animals by G. Nowack. 910 Market Street, Meadville, Pennsylvania 16335. Hours: M-F, 10:00am – 6:00pm; Sat, 8am-4pm.
RALPH MILLER JEWELERS AND GALLERY: “Southwest Surprises,” Jewelry & Gems from The Mountains & Deserts of the Great American Southwest, featuring recent works by RMJ Jewelry Artists (Carrie Magee, Liza Magee, Sally Griffin, Janice & Daniel Niebauer), plus works by “Art 4 Everyone” Artists (Carolyn Nowack, Terry & Jan Werneth, Victoria Norvaisa), local Oil Painter, Diane Wenzel Pierce, and Palm Springs, CA Ceramic Artist, Greg Lee Carlson. Alsoal Note: See Jan & Dan’s “Jewelry Art” along with their Erie Art Museum’s Jewelry Class Students’ works, at the Erie Art Museum’s opening of: “ First Class,” featuring the artwork of Erie Art Museum instructors and their students. The exhibit will be held in the Frenzel Gallery on the first floor of the Erie Art Museum from March 7 – March 16.
For more information: Contact RMJ on their toll free number: 1 (888) RMJ-DIAS or via Contact at: www.ralphmillerjewelers.
CAROUSEL CARVING DEMONSTRATIONS: Join Carousel Artist, George P. Nowack for a series of demonstrations in the art of carving Carousel animals as he recreates an exact replica of the Mueller Lion which rode the Carousel at CONNEAUT LAKE PARK from 1910 till the 1980’s. For a schedule of appearances, or to schedule a carving demonstration for your organization or event, please contact (814)795-6888, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
GRAFFITI GALLERY: Graffiti Gallery is proud to present the work of Licia Donze in its annual Spring Show, which opens Friday, February 14. Featured artist Licia Donze was the top prize winner in last summer’s Oil Heritage Festival Art Show. Donze is joined by a number of artists from the National Transit Building and from the area. The reception from 5 to 7 pm will include beautiful artwork, light refreshments and good company! The show will run from February 14 through March 21. Admission to Graffiti Gallery is free.
NPAA HOLIDAY SHOW: Gannon University’s Schuster Gallery, through 2/10/2014.
GLASS GROWERS GALLERY: New Works by Ben Gibson & Denise Romecki . Mon-Sat, 10am-5pm; Sun, 1-4pm. Glass Growers Gallery, 10 E. 5th St., Erie. WWW.glassgrowers.com.
GMEINER ART & CULTURAL CENTER: February Exhibit features the works of Paul Bozzo, through 2/28/2014. Gallery hours are 2-5PM, Mon-Sun. 134 Main St., Wellsboro, PA 16901.
CRARY ART GALLERY: “Interbeing,” figurative drawings, watercolors, and oil paintings by Cambridge Springs artist, Jan Lutz. “Nostalgia Revisited,” detailed classical paintings of contemporary decay and decline by Corning, NY painter and art professor, David Higgins. Free and open to the public. Located at 511 Market St., Warren, PA. More info: call 814 723-4523 or visit www.crarygallery.org.
INDIANA ART ASSOCIATION: “Understanding Color and Composition” Instructor: Julie Bernstein Engelmann
Date: Sat., Feb. 22; Time: 10:00 AM – 3:30 PM; Fee: $45 members; 65 non-members; Deadline to sign up: Februray 16th 2014. “PAINT A PORTRAIT,” AN INTENSIVE TWO DAY WORKSHOP WITH BILL PERRY. Instructor: Bill Perry; Date: Sat., March 29th and Sun., March 30th; Time: Sat., 10:00 AM – 4:00PM, Sun., 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM. Fee: $80 members; $100 non-members. Deadline to sign up: March 23rd 2014.You can register and pay online at: http://www.indianapaartassociation.org/classes/
Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills: The Gifts and Crafts for Valentine Expo is the perfect event to shake off the winter blues, and find that UNIQUE gift for your Valentine! This event will present quality hand crafted crafts and unique gift items from handcrafted vendors, non-crafted vendors and your favorite home party plan consultants from the Tri-State area. Come see the large variety of arts, crafts, gifts, home decorations, jewelry, personal care products and much more in the comfort of the beautiful Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills. 590 Pittsburgh Mills Circle, Tarentum PA 15084 (Allegheny County PA.) Route 28N, Exit 12A, Pittsburgh Mills Boulevard.
MANCHESTER CRAFTSMENS GUILD: MCG Youth & Arts offers art classes for adults as well as youth. Take the time out of your busy life to pause, connect and create in one of Pittsburgh’s best art facilities. Beginning Jan 7, MCG will offer the following classes: Art Deco in Photoshop, Functional Pottery, Creative Darkroom. To register, call Rose Mary Gubser at 412-322-1773 x302. http://mcgyouthandarts.org/gifts-from-the-guild
PITTSBURGH ARTS & CRAFTS SPRING FEVER FESTIVAL: Monroeville Convention Center, March 21-23. For an application or more information, visit www.familyfestivals.com, or call 724-863-4577.
TRIA GALLERY: “In Situ,” An ongoing and ever changing exhibition of work by Tria artists in designed home vignettes. Tria Gallery hours: Tuesday through Saturday 11 to 6531 West 25 Street, ground floor suite 5. email@example.com / 212.695.0021. Tuesday – Saturday, 11:00 – 6:00. www.triagallerynyc.com
AZART GALLERY: Tria Gallery, in Conjunction with Pat Metheny and Azart Gallery presents “The Many Faces Of KIN”
Through February 15, 2014.The evolution of album cover art for Pat Metheny by Stephen Doyle and his team.
Reception for the artists: Thursday January 30th, from 6 to 8.30 pm. Azart Gallery will be showcasing a unique series of 20 limited edition photo prints mounted on Plexiglas (24″ x 24″). Each print will be delivered with a certificate and signed by the artists. Azart Gallery, 617 W 27th St. New York, NY 10001.Tuesday – Saturday 11am-6pm and by appointment. Telephone (212) 216-0030. firstname.lastname@example.org, www.azartgallerynyc.com
NOW APPEARING: Join A4E friend, “Big Tony” and all the members of the Sofa King Cool Band for an evening of musical entertainment at one or all of the following: February 28 – FRIDAY Ray’s Hot Spot, Marienville, PA. For more info, visit the Sofa King Cool Band page on Facebook.
DESIRE AND RED WINE, A LIFE’S JOURNEY: A new and exciting book publication by A4E Artist, Victoria Norvaisa, now available at the A4E Market House Gallery, Market Street, Meadville PA Get your copy NOW… Only $15.00! This exciting novel can also be ordered at Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble, or Books1-2-3 in soft cover or hard cover format, and e-books on Kindle and Nook Call 814-795-6888 for info. Also, check out Vicky’s new website: www.VictoriaNorvaisa.com
THINK YOUR LIFE INTO ACTION: A new book by A4E Friend, Brenda Basham Dothage, is available at Barnes and Noble and Books-a-Million in addition to www.amazon.com and www.createspace.com/3843511.”These methods are PROVEN to be extremely effective and WILL produce positive life-changing outcomes”. For more information visit http://www.facebook.com/thinkyourlifeintoaction.
WEBINARS , WORKSHOPS, GRANTS:
- FOCUS ADVENTURES: This summer’s Photography and Personal Vision Workshop is being held at Focus Ranch, a real working cattle ranch, located on the western Colorado and Wyoming border in a section of the Northern Rocky Mountains about 50 miles northwest of Steamboat Springs. The ranch headquarters are nestled in the Upper Little Snake River Valley, surrounded by the peaks of the Sierra Madre Mountain range, providing spectacular sunrises and sunsets. Late August is a magical time at the ranch, with early signs of the transformation from summer to fall. Landscapes are embellished with the flowers of late summer — Lupine, Indian Paintbrush, Wild Geraniums, and Asters. For more information, contact/visit Karen Schulman, Focus Adventures, PO Box 771640, Steamboat Springs, CO. 970-879-2244, Studio or 970-846-3774, Mobile. Email: email@example.com or visit http://phototc.com/leaders/karen-gordon-schulman
- Free Spring Artists Residency in México/360 Xochi Quetzal: Free Artist and Writers Residency Program. 360 XOCHI QUETZAL is a FREE one month artist residency located in Chapala, Mexico on the shores of the largest lake in Mexico. Our Spring Residency is May 1 – 31, 2014. The next deadline for international visual and fiber artists, writers, photographers and musicians is January 18, 2014 and you may apply through CAFÉ, http://www.callforentry.org/. Please visit our website for more detailed information: http://www.deborahkruger.com/1/art-residency.html, or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- PAINTING IN ITALY, A SPRING SOJURN: Are you thinking about the warmth of Umbria and Tuscany, maybe imagining the sun-drenched ochre colors of Roman buildings or the beauty of light on the Cinque Terre?
Well in case you are, this is just a reminder that the Art Sojourn for Italy is on for May 17 to June 2. For info, visit www.briankeeler.com, or contact Brian Keeler email@example.com for a free brochure. The deadline for registration is coming up on the first of February.
- NEW YORK FOUNDATION FOR THE ARTS: NYFA’s online application for the 2014 Artists’ Fellowships is now open. Please go to nyfa.org to apply and to review Application Guidelines. The following categories will be reviewed during the 2013 – 2014 cycle: Digital/Electronic Arts, Crafts/Sculpture, Non-Fiction Literature, Poetry, Printmaking/Drawing/Book Arts. DEADLINES: February 10, 2014 at 11:59 p.m., Crafts/Sculpture, Digital/Electronic Arts; February 11, 2014 at 11:59 p.m., Nonfiction Literature, Poetry, printmaking/Drawing/Book Arts. Artists’ Fellowships are $7,000 unrestricted cash awards made to individual originating artists living and working in the state of New York. Grants are awarded in 15 artistic disciplines, with applications accepted in five categories each year. Since the awards began in 1985, NYFA has awarded over $27 million to over 4,400 artists.
Peer review panels will select up to 100 Fellows this year based on artistic vision, the goal being to buy recipients creative time to continue making work. The Fellowship award is free for artists to apply!
- You’re invited to participate in artFido’s NORTH AMERICAN ARTIST SHOWCASE. Submit your art for a chance to win grants of up to $1000, have your art seen by millions and feature in an issue of Professional Artist magazine.
Your entry deadline is 11:59pm February 28, 2014.
CALLS FOR ARTISTS/OPPORTUNITIES:
(For more information on the following opportunities, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- NEOTERIC ABSTRACT II is a thematic exhibition dedicated to abstract art. The exhibition will be held at the Limner Gallery, April 10 – May 3, 2014 and is open to all forms of abstraction, from the geometric to the lyrical, from the precise to the raw. $2600 in Direct Art publication awards will also be presented to three artists. Contact: Tim Slowinski, 518-828-2343.
- FIRST STREET GALLERY – 2014 NATIONAL JURIED EXHIBITION: Exhibition: June 26 -July 19, 2014 Entries start: Jan. 1, 2014 – Open to U.S. resident artists 18. Exhibition: June 26 -July 19, 2014. Entries start: Jan. 1, 2014. Open to U.S. resident artists 18 years or older. Juror: Jed Perl – art critic for The New Republic; reviews and articles for Vogue, The New York Times Book Review, Harper’s, and The New Criterion, among others. Entry fee: $35/1-3 works, $5/ea. additional work. Eligible works: oils, acrylics, watercolors, pastels, drawings, prints, mixed media, photography and sculpture. Online applications only. Prospectus at: http://firststreetgallery.net/NJEprospectus14.html. Contact: NJEinquiries@firststreetgallery.net; 646-336-8053.
- Professional Artist: Calling all artists! Professional Artist is looking for the most inspirational art studios across the country. Submit the best photos of your studio to http://bit.ly/pastudiosearch2013, and your shots could be published in the April/May 2014 issue of Professional Artist.
- SPACES World Artist Program Coordinator: SPACES seeks an outgoing, dynamic, innovative SWAP Coordinator to oversee all aspects of the SPACES World Artists Program (SWAP). Duties include, but are not limited to hosting visiting artists, overseeing the SWAP budget, consulting with artists about their projects, being an advocate for SPACES and visiting artists, working with the SWAP Committee, writing about art, copy editing, facilitating publications, coordinating interns and work-study students, keeping the mood light, writing grants, and working with other staff as needed. Please submit cover letter, resume, 500-word art writing sample, and contact information (phone, address, email) for three professional references to Martha Loughridge, Interim Executive Director at email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
- Artist Instructors: The Studio offers three semesters annually of day, evening and weekend classes in contemporary and traditional craft media for adults and teens. Artist instructors interested in sharing their enthusiasm and expertise with students in The Studio are asked to provide a class proposal, samples of your work, and references. Instructors must possess excellent organizational, communication, and teaching skills. For more information or to submit materials please contact the Education Department at 412.261.7003 x 25 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Society For Contemporary Craft: Exhibitions at SCC are scheduled one to two years in advance and are thematic or media specific. Most are invitational, however there are some juried opportunities available. Artists who would like to be considered for future exhibitions should send six slides or digital images, an artist statement, resume and support materials to: Kate Lydon, Director of Exhibitions, Society for Contemporary Craft, 2100 Smallman Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15222 Phone 412.261.7003 x 15. email@example.com
- W2S series 2015 Call for Artists: United States Mint Call for Artists: Seeking Artists to Design United States Coins and Medals. The designs on United States coins and medals are more than simple illustrations on small metal discs; they are expressions of the values, aspirations, and shared heritage of our Nation. They serve as illustrations to the world of the essence and the story of America. The United States Mint is seeking artists interested in taking coin and medal design in new directions and trying new approaches as part of our endeavor to ensure that the designs on United States coins and medals are of the highest quality to best represent our country for years to come.
- Living Cities Design Competition: The Living Cities: Residential Towers for the 21st Century Design Competition challenges architects and engineers (preferably in collaborative teams) to develop an original design for modern, urban residential living that makes use of structural steel framing systems. We challenge you to design maximum column-free floor areas with reduced floor assembly thicknesses (acoustical considerations are essential), enclosed with an energy efficient curtain wall system that emphasizes the frame’s slenderness, strength, and transparency, as well as natural ventilation and the residents’ access to fresh air. The winning design will demonstrate a high degree of expression and creativity in fulfilling the program requirements, in accordance with the specific design guidelines.
- Call for Artists: Satellite Gallery is an exciting, cutting edge new gallery opening up in the Collinwood area, and is looking for large scale artwork for the EXTERIOR of the building as well as the interior. Art will be hung on the outside of the building in a salon style fashion. Art for the interior of the gallery can be sound, digital media, or performance based.
OPPORTUNITIES IN NORTHEAST OHIO:
- Enter 2D3D, the Cleveland Institute of Art’s national art and design competition where creativity matters! There are four winners but one Best in Show. Are you the one?
- Ingenuity Fest 2014 Call for Entries- Deadline March 29, 2014. IngenuityFest is a 3-day festival celebrating art, music, and technology. The Festival this year will be held in September (exact dates are TBD) in Cleveland, Ohio. Approximately 40,000 people attend the festival. 2014 will be the 10th IngenuityFest.
- Core77 Design Awards- Deadline March 20, 2014
- Recognizing excellence in all areas of design enterprise, the Core77 Design Awards celebrates the richness of the design profession and its practitioners.
- Larchmere PorchFest Musicians – Deadline February 28, 2014
- FREE Music Festival. Saturday, June 21, 2014. 30 BANDS ON 30 PORCHES
- 16th Annual Art on the Streets
- ARTIST SUBMISSIONS TO MOCA CLEVELAND
- MOCA Cleveland reviews unsolicited artist submissions from artists living in Cuyahoga County or its six contiguous counties (Lorain, Medina, Summit, Portage, Geauga, and Lake).
- Volunteers needed to help high school students in graphic design futures – Deadline May 31, 2014
- Volunteers wanted to help work with high school students in Photshop, Illustrator, Indesign design, marketing, communications and other graphic design futures, as well as help brainstorm and create a flyer for Esperanza’s Holiday Program. Deadline for Holiday Program flyer is Nov. 21st, but volunteers can help with Adobe programs from now till May, 2014.
- Valley Art Center has been presenting this premier fine arts and fine crafts festival expertly for the past 30 years.
- Satellite Gallery Call for Artists – no deadline
- Graphic Design Manager – Cleveland Institute of Music
- Artist Assistant Internship (View all arts Internships courtesy of NEOintern
- Development Director – Contemporary Youth Orchestra
- Events Coordinator – Cleveland Institute of Music
- Administrative Assistant – Weathervane Playhouse
- 40 Apprentice Positions available for students – ArtWorks Afterschool – Center for Arts-Inspired Learning (Formerly Young Audiences)
- Dean of Arts & Sciences – Columbus State Community College
- Calling All Amateur Photographers. Send your pictures of the Pymatuning Lake area to firstname.lastname@example.org. We are looking for pictures displaying fun around the Pymatuning area. Camping, fishing, shows, and more apply. Please do not send any obscene and/or offensive content.
ADDITIONAL REGIONAL EVENTS
Through Mar 29. / Frank Lloyd Wright’s Samara: A Mid-Century Dream House.
Offers visitors a unique behind-the-scenes look at the creation of an architectural masterpiece. This traveling exhibit explores the relationship between an architect and his clients as they worked together to create one family’s definition of an American dream home. The Gallery at Penn College, Williamsport. 570-320-2445 570-320-2445, www.pct.edu/gallery
Through Feb 14. / Second Friday Art Walk. The free, self-guided tour will focus on local galleries, cultural venues, restaurants and local shops. 5-9pm. Downtown Clarks Summit. 570-586-3363 570-586-3363 FREE , www.artscota.org
Through Apr 27. / The Art of the Build: Rods & Kustoms. The display focuses on individuals who have personalized their rides, as well as on the rolling art they have created by transforming their vehicles. Adm. AACA Museum, Hershey. 717-566-7100 717-566-7100, www.aacamuseum.org
Feb 7-Mar 2. / Annual Invitational Exhibition.
This year’s exhibit is based on the theme of pop art. Over 50 local artists will show new works. Tuesdays-Saturdays 10am-4pm, Sundays 1-4pm. Adm. The Demuth Museum, Lancaster. 717-299-9940, www.demuth.org
Feb 7-23. / Crystal Cabin Fever: Around the World in Ice.
Check out the amazing ice displays all sculpted from over 100 tons of ice. There will also be ongoing live ice carving shows, professional ice competitions and much more. Sculpted Ice Works Factory, Lakeville. 570-226-6246, www.crystalcabinfever.com
Feb 13-17. / Ice Festival.
Attendees will enjoy more than 50 beautiful frozen works of art, live music, ice carvings and demonstrations during the event. The parade on Thursday will be followed by a family-friendly after party at the Clarks Summit Borough Building. Downtown Clarks Summit. 570-587-9045 www.theabingtons.org
Feb 15. / Clothesline Art Exhibit.
Children visiting the Kiwanis Winterfest in Sullivan County compete for small prizes for artwork created on-site, which is then hung on clotheslines for the crowd to admire. Camp Brule Boy Scout Camp, Forksville. 570-928-8927 www.sullivanarts.org
Feb 15. / For the Love of Fiber.
Fiber-related interests including craft demonstrations, giveaway drawing baskets and fiber merchants. Spinning, weaving, knitting, crocheting, felts and tats. Free event. Food bank donations welcome. General Potter Farm, Potters Mills. 814-364-2474, www.centrecountyknittersguild.com
Feb 16. / Wild About Art: Snow Candles.
Snow can be molded into so many different shapes and sizes that participants can create a unique candle of their own. Participants will also be experimenting with different types of natural materials that can be melted into their handmade candles. 1:30-3pm. Age 12 and older. Preregistration required. Adm. Wildwood Park, Harrisburg. 717-221-0292, ext. 1, www.wildwoodlake.org
Feb 21-23. / Bluegrass Festival.
The seventh annual festival will offer music all weekend long. Free. Days Inn-Oil City, Oil City. 814-676-1509, www.ocartscouncil.com
For more information on all events, contact George P. Nowack, at email@example.com or 814-795-6888 or find us at www.facebook.com/artsforeveryone.
Peace and Joy be with You!
“ So what will matter? How will the value of your days be measured?
What will matter is not what you bought, but what you built…not what you got, but what you gave.”